Sunday, September 27, 2015

Fly High, Grandmama


Julia "Judy" Coker was my grandmother. 
I grew up half a mile from her and my youngest daughter is her namesake. 
She was a real fireball, in the best way. Although she was a woman of few words, she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and she rarely sugar-coated things. When she spoke, you had better listen. I wish I knew sooner in life she was also hilarious. She sure kept us on the edge of our seats. 
She was a small woman, not even five feet tall. She had tiny feet but left us all huge shoes to fill. 

She was dearly loved by my grandfather for over 65 years. In that time, she raised four wonderful children. 

She buried her youngest son, my Uncle Steve, in 1996 after a tragic accident. I am all too familiar with the kind of void his death left inside her heart. 
I can only imagine the reunion at Heaven's Gates as he helped Jesus welcome her home. 
I'd like to think my Aubrey was riding on his shoulders, the way I used to do as a little girl.  I can hear her squeal as she called out for Grandmama! What a perfect day!!

As we sat in her house tonight with my Granddaddy, I almost asked "where's Grandmama?"  Just that quickly, I forgot. 
She's supposed to be here with us. I miss her. I selfishly want her back to make me laugh and be brutally honest and to watch these baby girls grow up. Then something dawned on me. Each one of us--who were blessed enough to know and love her--have a part of her inside of us. She has been planting in us her seeds of wisdom, humor, humility and love our whole lives. 
Now we all get to reap that harvest and plant them back into our loved ones. She will live on forever through us. 
One day, soon and very soon, we will all reunite at Heaven's Gate. 
What a glorious day that will be. 

Fly High, Grandmama. LOVE
 

No comments: