Monday, July 18, 2016

Back The Blue


almost never started dating my now-husband because he was a cop. Most of what I (thought I) knew about cops was bad. I believed what I saw in movies and on the "news". Now, don't get me wrong...I respected their position and appreciated their dedication to protect and serve their community but I wasn't gonna date one. Even if he was actually a great guy, I would  probably be worried constantly about losing him in the line of duty. 

That stance didn't last long at all. 
I quickly fell for my policeman. He stole my heart and filled my life with love, laughter and helped renew my faith in many things. For nearly four years, he has been my rock and comforter and helped me walk through some of the darkest days of my life. He has taught me lessons about stability, trust, selflessness, sacrifice and endurance and resilience. He is a great husband, father and friend. 

Watching him live his life also taught me a lot about most officers of the law I clearly knew little--to nothing--about. 


These men and women wear a badge that represents more than simply their occupation. They take an oath to protect the lives of people they've never even met. These people often despise them. They believe they're out to get them. They blame them. They try to hurt them. Somehow, our officers fight even for those who fight against them. 

Our officers leave their families at all hours of the day/night after very little, restless sleep. They miss holidays and their family's and friend's life events so that the evil of this world stays that much further away from the rest of us. They don't get to tuck their kids in bed or get them up in the morning so that their community is able to. They patrol the streets so that their neighbors can rest easier in their homes. They save other's lives daily yet they barely get to have one of their own. 

They do all of this with little appreciation or recognition. They're  grossly overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. Generally, only their mistakes are broadcast for the world to see. The ones with hidden agendas make up such a small percentage of officers. Yet, far too often, are they all placed in that category. The media forms--and forces--opinions on the world and fills their heads with lies and only partial truths. 
Rarely do we see reports of officers holding babies or comforting frightened children, breathing life back into someone or mentoring a teenager. 

Some questions I have for all those who are anti-police are:

Where would we be without these men and women sacrificing their lives for us?
Could you do what they do?
Have you ever tried to put yourself in their places?
What if America decided you were exactly like the very worst specimen of human? How would that make you feel?

I could go on forever about the all the injustices our police officers face. 


We have to band together. We need to stand up and get behind the men and women of law enforcement. We should be on our knees, praying for our country and for those who are fighting for us on our own turfs. 

Back The Blue!!


No comments: