Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Day Before Your 9th Birthday


Your gifts should already be wrapped with, of course, purple ribbons.

I should be picking up cupcakes for your 3rd Grade class party with purple everything to go with them.

I should be planning tomorrow’s family birthday supper at Longhorn and getting excited for your reaction when the waiters bring out the Chocolate Stampede with candles and sing you a silly song. Your huge smile and infectious giggles were always so predictable and perfect.

I should have the house clean and ready for a pile of silly little girls, coming for a weekend slumber party and happily waiting to pull out my hair from the craziness.

Together, we would pick out your “teenager” clothes for your big day at school and we wouldn’t forget to add the “Birthday Girl” ribbon.

After you go to sleep, on your last 8-year-old night, I would stay up late coloring your “Happy 9th Birthday, Aub!” sign to hang in the kitchen for you to see, first thing the next morning.


None of these things are ever going to be happening again. There are no new birthday celebrations here, for you. 

For me, truly, there is only emptiness and sorrow and all I do is miss you. You didn’t turn 7 or 8 and you won’t get to turn 9. You are forever 6-years-old. You are forever our precious memory.

I cannot believe how much time has gone by since you left. I can’t believe I have survived this pain, this huge void for almost three years now. All things, (happy, sad or somewhere in-between) are always without you and your absence is felt no matter what.

This life God has blessed me with is good, but I would give up every single part of it to be with you again. Selfish, yes, but I am a mother without her daughter and that warrants such feelings.

Every day I finish on this Earth is one closer to you…one closer to Birthday celebrations in Heaven (I can only imagine how splendid that will be). Until that day comes and God calls me to be where you are, please know that I am here…missing, loving and wanting you always.


Happy Birthday, my sweet, precious angel. Mama LOVES you, forever.


No comments: