Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Today is the day


I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a helicopter parent. I don't hover all the time but I'm definitely careful. I research everything, try to make healthy choices for my kids and am not exactly carefree. 

Something crazy happened to one of the twins this morning. I didn't go into an immediate panic but it hit me later how badly the outcome could have been. I haven't been able to shake it since. 

I lost my oldest daughter at 6 years, 2 months and 2 weeks old. I have friends who have lost their babies during pregnancy, in their first year of life, at 30 and many during the years in between. It's a shock no matter what age your child is or how it happens. 


Recently, multiple children have died in freak accidents and made national headlines. Everyone is talking about all the ways these deaths could have been prevented (including myself). As we all speak these words of judgement, we  know there have been times that our children's lives were spared and not because we are the worlds greatest parent. It simply was not their time. 

My own children have scared me badly multiple times. I have seen the ER more times than I can count. I spent two weeks in two PICU units and 30 days between three NICU units and I lost my first-born daughter at six! This all qualifies me to freely give my advice. Please take it, cling to it and run with it. 

No one wakes up ready to say goodbye to their child. 

No one can prevent every single accident from happening. 

No one knows exactly when our time or our child's time is up. 

Live every moment like its the last one. Dance, sing, play, be silly and live while you still can. Most importantly, LOVE like you'll never be able to again. Believe me, your every memory depends on it.

 

No comments: